On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 17:09 -0600, Leonard Evens wrote:
> Gimp 2.4.3 allows color proofing but provides no mechanism for using a
> printer profile to actually print.   I presume there are weighty issues
> involved in doing such a thing.

The main reason for the lack of this in the Print plug-in is that Cairo,
which is used by GTK+ Print, doesn't have color management nor does it
offer a pixel format with more than 8bit per color channel. The latter
makes it impossible to reasonably apply color management before passing
the image to the GTK+ Print system.

> But in principle, it is not to difficult to do it in an ad hoc manner.
> All you have to do is modify the image using the print profile to do so
> and then print the result.

That is a bad idea, due to the fact that you are then doing the color
conversion in 8bit per channel. You are throwing away information here.
Why don't you just use Photoprint and specify the Printer profile there?