On Thursday 31 January 2008, alessia wrote:
> Hi all,
> I' ve a questo since a long time regarding the possibilty to
> install and run multiple, and by the way different, versions of
> Gimp on the same computer.
> I know that it's possible for some software (for example
> OpenOffice) but I dont' know about GImp. i'm not an intensive user
> and so I usually install the new version of Gimp that came with the
> new version of my distribution( and I change distro version one
> time a year o more frequently).
> My quest is
> Is it strictly binding to unistall the previous version before
> install the newer one?
> Thank a lot
> Alessia

It is possible, and almost all GIMP contributors do that, although it
is not officially supported.

However, it is nto likely you will be able to do that with
pre-compiled packages. You will have to download GIMP's source code
and follow the instructions there to build it in another prefix
(like /opt).

However, if you are talking about minor version changes inside a
stable branch (like changing from gimp-2.4.2 to gimp-2.4.4), there is
no need to have both versions installed - you could install it over
your current GIMP  (and in this case, you _should_ be able to get a
package from your distribution updates).

Note that current gimp stable is 2.4 - there should be in a few weeks
(or months) some development branch for version 2.5, which you might
want to try in this way, while you still hold your 2.4 stable.

Regards,
        js
        -><-