Thanks, Core Painter is a pretty amazing program, mostly I'm looking
for an easy-to-use drawing application on Linux that lets me just do
really simple stuff. I'm going to try all the plugins that people have
been suggesting tonight, they sound like they fill in GIMP's missing
gaps, then give Krista a go too. I'm looking at Inkscape on the
internet right now, maybe I'll have time to mess around with it this
weekend.

Thanks for the advice,
Jason