Attempts to download gimp 2.6.1 into Debian Lenny resulted in 2.4.7.
 I donĀ“t know how to fake it out further.

So I went back to Slackware, which takes a lot of fussing but usually
can be worked out with successive downloads/compiles of all the
library bits and pieces. I succeeded with
downloading/making/installing  latest babl and glib. but this gimp
2.6.1 effort  halted when the make of gegl stalled with this error:
-- In file included from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkspawn.h:26,
                 from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdk.h:52,
                 from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtk.h:31,
                 from gegl.c:43:
/usr/local/include/glib-2.0/glib/gspawn.h:22:2: error: #error "Only
<glib.h> can be included directly."
make[2]: *** [gegl.o] Error 1
gspawn.h is of course in various include directories.

So now I am down to my third option, download a rpm or other
precompiled  version of 2.6.1 and try to install that.  When I ftp to
ftp.gimp.org I find source files but not the precompiled versions.
Obviously I am not looking in the right places.  Can someone give me
a pointer?

John Culleton