I'm a fairly new GIMP user. Be gentle.

I'd like to duplicate the effect described in this Photoshop tutorial:

http://pshero.com/archives/text-in-stitches

The critical part of this is selecting a path from text and using a custom brush
to draw along this path. Once I've got this working, I can fiddle around with
the background and brush type to make it look pretty.

I've got as far as adding some text and turning this into a path using
Layer->Text to path. I can then do "stroke path" with a brush of my choice.
However, I can't work out how to adjust some of the more complex options, such
as the direction of brushing and the distance between brush strokes, as
described in steps 8 and 9 of the tutorial. How do I do this in the GIMP?

If I'm successful, I guess I'll write this up in a blog post.

Peter