I can't say I'm a newby in computers, but sometimes they keep me wondering if
these machines are really so logic as we think.

Well, anyway, I read something about disabling fonts in the gimp via the
--no-fonts command line option, and decided to give it a try, if maybe that
caused my troubles with gimp.

So I re-installed the gimp for the fifth (or so) time on this machine. Where
all previous times I installed this same version (2.6.3) resulted in a big
crash within 5 seconds or so, now gimp runs fine on this machine, even before
I got the chance to try out this --no-fonts option.

Even thinking about this command line option without even applying it
apparantly made my computer change its mind!!

Computers are bizarre machines!