A bit of help, if you would...

I had access to a microfilm of an old (~400 years) manuscript of music,
from which I was able to make usable scans, which I am not in the
process of reviewing. Some images (cf.
<>)are quite easy to work
with; others (cr. <>) are
bit more challenging. The challenging images generally have all the
information in them I need, but that information is in pixels in a
mid-gray tone surrounded by darker pixels, as the pixels in the vicinity
of GIMP co-ordinates 726,110.

What I'd like to do is to use the "select by color" tool to select the
pixels with the desired mid-gray values, and then use them as a mask.
However, when I try to use select by color, it picks up the mid-gray
pixels well enough, but picks up all the darker ones and some of the
lighter ones as well. Is there a way to adjust the tool so that it
selects just the mid-gray values that I want, or is there a better tool
to use?