Noel Stoutenburg wrote:
> Friends:
>
> Where I wrote:
>
>> ...<snippage>... GIMP co-ordinates 726,110. ...<snippage>...
>>

> I inadvertantly used co-ordinates from the wrong image; in the image
>
>  <http://users.waymark.net/mjolnir-dsl/12T1.tif>)
>

> the mid-gray tones that contain the useful information are the pixels
> around 635,134.
>
> ns

Hi,
With barely legible documents, especially if you've got any number of
them, I'd suggest trying Digikam first.
It's much quicker than using Gimp and in most cases it will give you a
very good or at least acceptable result.

I usually start with Digikam and resort to Gimp only if Digikam isn't
good enough.

Digikam: Image =>Edit=>Color=>Auto-Correction; then try which of the 4
options gives you the most legible result. You can do further tweaking
on the autocorrected image.

Doug