Hi all,
I read something in the documentation that says that each text (box?) is
automatically placed in a new layer.
And that's also what seems to happen in practice.

Doesn't sound so great to me. I like being able to have multiple objects in
a single layer. So I can show/hide a whole lot of things at once.
Also, if you have 50 objects in a pic, do you get 50 layers...???!!!

So...in general, does GIMP enforce a policy of one layer per object?

IF YES THEN
    Sounds crazy to me

ELSE   /* I can have many objects in a single layer */
    Great!
    Now how can I disable this feature of creating text in its own new
layer?

    IF IMPOSSIBLE THEN
         How at least can I move the text, after creation, to a different
layer - i.e., a layer that contains a lot of other texts.

Great thanks in advance,

- avi