On Sun, 2009-03-22 at 21:35 +0100, Andreas Waechter wrote:

> What a pity, I love this feature - I often use it to set
> temporary shortcuts ...

It has problems with menu mnemonics, as you found out yourself. That's
why its use is discouraged by the GTK+ developers. GIMP is probably the
only application that still allows to enable it.

> Btw, in the zoom dropdown box at the bottom of the image
> window, between the value and the % character, there is a
> box with tiny "2005" or "2009" (too tiny to decide which of
> the two). As the dropdown is only wide enough for "1600%",
> the full "2005" and the percent sign are only visible after
> scrolling horizontally in the opened dropdown ...
> Could this be a unicode char code? 2005 would be a
> "Four-per-em-Space", 2009 a "thin space" (fifth of an em).

That is indeed a Unicode char code. Your desktop font lacks this
important character and fontconfig does not seem able to locate a
fallback font for it. There's a bug report against Pango about this. If
you want to help fixing this, please check the bug-tracker.