Hi Jay,

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 12:19 AM, Jay Smith <j...@jaysmith.com> wrote:
> On 04/23/2009 10:04 AM, David Gowers wrote:
>> Have you tried creating an 'Error Console' dockable?
>> It normally catches such messages which would otherwise cause popups.
>> David
> Thanks David,
> That did the trick.  But...
> a) Now I have yet another window on my desktop whenever I run Gimp.  Is
> there any way to "hide" it?
Why would you have another window? You know.. Dockables are called
that because you can dock them :) Surely you already had some attached
to your toolbox? Personally I have only two windows on my desktop, the
image window and the toolbox (with lots of dockables attached). I'm
not sure why you would have a multiplicity of windows if you could
avoid it.

> b) Is there any way to simply tell gimp to ignore these particular error
> messages?
No (short of editing the source and recompiling)
> c) Are these really proper error messages?  What exactly is it
> complaining about and why?  Are the files that Photoshop created
> defective in some way?  Or have the standards changed?

I don't know *exactly* what it is talking about, but, according to
, MinSampleValue and MaxSampleValue are only to be used for
statistical purposes and not to effect display or print in any way --
so I am guessing that warnings rather than errors should be given.

I think it's quite possible that PS is creating defective files, as
that part of the TIFF spec seems ill-defined. I don't really
understand why GIMP is expecting 3; Intuitively I would expect it to
expect 1. It's possible that this is a GIMP bug caused by copy+paste
(probably from the code to handle MaxSampleValue, where in my limited
understanding, expecting 3 is often sensible.)

In any case, I recommend you file a bug report about it (
http://www.gimp.org/bugs )