It's on a Windows 2000 machine.

I downloaded and installed the user guide into:

Then I opened the Preferences dialog and looked at
the Help System menu item.  There is a choice to use the online
help or a locally installed copy.

I select "Use a locally installed copy" but the dialog announces
that "The user manual is not installed locally."

When I try to open the help system using either my default browser (FF2)
or GIMP's help browser, I'm again told I don't have the help manual

So I guess I don't have the manual in the right place.

I'm real close but don't have it working quite yet.