DJ wrote:
> Hi bgw, GimpUsers,
> b> Not quite - "paste as new layer" creates a new layer with the selection
> b> in the upper left corner.  "Paste" places it exactly on top, as Sven
> b> noted, and then "Layer->New Layer" will transform the floating layer
> b> into a new layer properly located.
> Ah, that did the trick.
> The two methods produce different results then:
>  1a. Edit / Paste As / New Layer
>  1b. Edit / Paste; Layers / New Layer
> Is there any other use for the "Floating Selection", other than
> turning it into a "New Layer"?
You will most likely have noticed that simply clicking outside the
"floating selections anchors it.
The most obvious use is creating multiple copies of a portion of the
image, without going through the "layer-merge" steps.

I do that using Ctrl-C; Ctrl-V.
Ctrl-C copies the selection to the clipboard, and Ctrl-V pastes it
(creating the "Floating Selection")- I will then move it to a new location.
Another Ctrl-V will create another copy, at the same time "anchoring"
the floating selection (which means merging it into the then active layer).
The new floating selection is no longer in the original location (I
haven't paid much attention to the rules by which it is located at that
I will then move that new floating selection to the next place I want
it, and either another Ctrl-V to anchor it and create another copy as a
floating selection, or click outside of it in order to stop making copies.