John Coppens wrote:
On Sat, 30 May 2009 08:00:05 -0700 (PDT)
James Cobban <> wrote:
When I got home I used GIMP to extract the individual images into
JPEGs. Unexpectedly the JPEGs are enormous!  For example one of the
TIFF files that was 5MB in total, containing 5 images remember,
exported into JPEGs which ranged from 9.0MB to 9.6MB!  That is using
the default 85% quality.

Note that in some cases, lossless compression can give you much better
results than jpg. Particularly if the original is a complicated line
drawing (high contrast). Also, if the original is using indexed colors,
it may be more efficient. And if the original is a b/w 1 bit/pixel image,
even more so.

Try to convert to PNG or GIF and check if those formats give you more
logical sizes - they work better with the mentioned image types.

Thank you to everyone for all the input.  This has been a useful learning experience.

Jim Cobban
34 Palomino Dr.
Kanata, ON, CANADA
K2M 1M1