On Sun, 2009-05-31 at 08:39 +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 2009-05-30 at 21:24 -0500, Leonard Evens wrote:
> > I want to blur the sky so that only pixels in the selection are used in
> > computing the new values.  Also, I need to use a large blur radius.
> > I've done this in the past by starting off with a small blur raidus and
> > progressively reducing the selection, increasing the (gaussian) blur
> > radius as I did so.  What is the simplest way to do  this?   If I just
> > apply a gaussin blur with a large radius  to my selection is uses values
> > outside the selection in calculationg the new values near the boundary
> > of the selection.
>
> Copy your selection, paste it to a new layer and blur that layer. Does
> that give the desired result?

I don't believe so.   I tried it.   It still used pixels outside the
selection in computing the new pixel values in the desired region.  In
this case, those values were zero, so that lightened the region at the
edges.

I think there may still be some way to do it using layers, but I haven't
figured out how.