> The Grokking the GIMP book uses modes in ways that I haven't seen
> elsewhere. Most items I have read just say experiment with modes and
> you'll come up with interesting effects. But Grokking actually gives
> some practical examples, like using Multiple to create shadows, Screen
> to create highlights, combining Normal with Screen, and Darken Only in
> a layer mask to merge two images. If you don't mind the differences in
> GIMP's user interface among versions, there is a lot of good stuff in
> Grokking the Gimp book. The terminology and basics are still the same.
> http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/node68.html
> http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/node57.html#SECTION001382000000000000000
> http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/node45.html#SECTION001233000000000000000
> Anyone seen other good examples of using various Modes?

Thank you for reminding me about this book. I used to loo0k at it 2 or 3
years ago and believed much of it was beyond my interest. Since then my
views have changed and I shall have another look with a different

Overlay is a useful Mode for strengthening images. I also use colour
when producing sepia toned image.