On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 2:41 PM, DJ<delphit...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Gimp-user,
> After creating a rectangle with the Rectangle Select Tool, rotating it
> -40 degrees, I selected Edit > Stroke Selection. I clicked the radio
> button next to "Stroke with a paint tool" and then Paintbrush in the
> "Paint tool" drop down.
> I then created a rectangle parallel to the one above using the "same"
> Paintbrush. I made no changes to the Paintbrush Tool Options. I
> created this rectangle freehand, clicking where the 4 corners would be
> while holding the shift key.
> Should the 2 painted rectangles look alike?

No. I understand your problem now.

The rectangle selection you made is constraining painting during the
stroking of the selection., just like any other selection would. If
you want the stroking to disregard the selection when applying paint,
you are better off converting the selection to a path then stroking
the path (with no selection active).

To illustrate -- use the paths tool to create a rectangle, and stroke
that path. The resultant stroking should display exactly the same
appearance as your freehand rectangle.