On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 6:04 PM, Bob Meetin <b...@dottedi.biz> wrote:
> I have seen this before but never used it for a project.  Okay now I played
> with it for a few minutes.  There must be some trick/finesse to getting it
> to zero in on the subject, really on the subject's edges.  By following the
> instructions in Figure 13.26 and keep redrawing the line the border gets
> pretty mixed up in the shadow areas especially.  Maybe it's my inexperience,
> but I can actually get a smoother edged selection by using the Paths tool.

Paths tool is a good choice.

Here's a "poor man's isolation method":

This is just a levels adjustment (Colors->Levels): "auto", then pull
the highlight slider in toward the center.  As you can see it's not
perfect, but if the BG is the same on all the pics, it might be a
time-saver since a little erasing here and there should be enough to
clean up afterwards.