This question show also why   Select/All may be confusing ;  the meaning of
"All" seems a quiz:

What the heck Select/All will select ?

1) "all" inside the current layer boundary
2) "all" inside image boundary
3) "all" inside canvas boundary

as  guess  1) looks good as the others ,even more probable, but will be a
wrong answer

Maybe adding another option as "Select/All in active layer"
would help to make concept clear and be of some practical utility

--
photocomix (via www.gimpusers.com)