I think I've found the solution.  I was downloading photos
from the camera with iPhoto, which didn't distort the
colors.  However, it didn't appear to properly convert
them to a color space that gimp liked.  When I download
the photos from the camera with the Canon software, they
don't need to be converted when I open them with gimp.
They seem to be the correct colors now.  Phew!  Thanks for
your help.  All the questions got me moving in the right
direction. -- Felicia