I'm working with scratchy looking fonts trying to give them something to
stand out.

I create a transparent canvas about 348x67 then pick a font, select white
for the color, and set the font at around 34. Then using the scale tool I
stretch the text to fill more of the canvas space. Then I right click the
text layer and "alpha to selection". Then I select -> grow selection by 3.
Then I use the bucket tool to fill the 3 pixel region with black.

My end result is a choppy unpleasant looking white logo with a black
border.

Is there a better technique to use to get a smoother, cleaner finished
look?