On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 22:18:27 +0530, phanisvara das
> On Sunday 01 November 2009 09:30:17 pm vr wrote:
>> I'm working with scratchy looking fonts trying to give them something
>> stand out.
>> I create a transparent canvas about 348x67 then pick a font, select
>> for the color, and set the font at around 34. Then using the scale tool
>> stretch the text to fill more of the canvas space. Then I right click
>> text layer and "alpha to selection". Then I select -> grow selection by
>> 3.
>> Then I use the bucket tool to fill the 3 pixel region with black.
>> My end result is a choppy unpleasant looking white logo with a black
>> border.
> i'm not sure where your text gets choppy; i followed the instructions
> outlined, and got a decent looking outlined text. of course, before
> the bucket filler, i inserted a new layer underneath the text layer.
> yesterday i came across an article that describes how to produce nice
> looking glossy text; perhaps you find that useful:
> glassy-wallpaper-on-gimp/>
> --
> phani.

I've been retracing my steps trying different things all morning and it
seems (for me) the inner white text gets choppy when scaled to fill the
canvas every time. I tried creating the image great big to scale it down
but it does the same thing. I also tried the sharpen filter up to 99% but
no luck. With my limited experience I can't think of a way around this yet.

Thank you for the link, I will check it out.