On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 6:03 AM, bob <for...@gimpusers.com> wrote:

>>The background at http://data.markjardine.com/tumblr/img/bg_texture.png
>>looks like it it could have been made following this tutorial
>>http://gimp-tutorials.net/gimp-pattern#comment-4062
>>
>>You can vary various things to get the effect you want, here is
>>something that is perhaps a little coarse and dark compared to what you
>>want http://members.pcug.org.au/~rcook/cf1.html

I personally found nothing remarkable didn't like the examples you provided  -
I guess going to filters->noise->hurl, followed by colors->desaturate
and colors->curves to fit the gray ranges to desired values should
give you better results.

I am more for stuff likje this when talking concrete, though:
http://www.pion.com.br/~gwidion/concrete.png

A little of the above + "secret sauce" + bump map

"secret sauce" recipe:
1.new image
2. filters->noise->hurl
3. colors->desaturate
4. layers->duplicate
5. on the bottom layer,
filters->blur->gaussian blur, radius 3
6. on the top layer, set the layer to "darken only"
7. combine the 2 noise layers
8. create new layer, fill with medium gray
9. filters->map->bump map; source = noise layer, angle <= 10ยบ.
10. optionally use color->curves to fit your gray range.