On 01/26/2010 02:49 PM, helices wrote:
> I have a simple JPG (108x170 pixels) that I want to use in a larger,
> higher resolution image that I'm creating.  It is a fairly simple black
> and white drawing -- actually, a light bulb with several curves and
> angles and straight lines.
>
> Yes, I have expanded it to 1000x1575 pixels.  Yes, I've zoomed to 800x,
> selected non-black pixels and deleted them.
>
> What I have now is almost tolerable; but, I'd like to know alternatives,
> preferably the simplest, most straight forward method to clean up the
> jagged edges that are visible.
>
> I will not use it at 1000x1575; but, I need it considerably more
> detailed than 108x170.
>
> Please, comment and advise.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Mike

This may be missing the point somehow, but if you used some kind of
"outlining" program (followed by a little editing) that creates a
vector-based (instead of bitmap based) image, you could then scale to
whatever size you want with perfect resolution, and then convert that
size to a bitmap format like JPG.  If you save the vector version, you
can scale-and-save-out to as many sizes as you like.

Back in the day I used Adobe Streamline for this kind of task, but I
don't know if that even still exists any more.

Jay