I'm looking to mass produce an effect on hotspots much like the following:

Take at

It contains hotspots on a 2d map. These hotspots are nothing more than pngs I
generate, and apply to the 2d map. I'd like to apply a "gel" to them that
almost looks like several layers of clear enamel, or gel. has been applied on
top - and almost clings to the shapes of the blobs. It would extend a few
pixels beyond the edges, relatively clear in nature (but have shadow and
reflexive qualities from its textures).

Ive created a few versions but none give the effect im after. The glossy/clear
effect of the gel has been all but impossible to generate. Any tips?

I'd eventually like to lock down the workflow and batch script the process to a
whole directory of images. That comes down the road though...

audiocontr (via gimpusers.com)