On 11/30/2010 01:09 AM, Mark Phillips wrote:
> I followed the instructions for creating a panorama from 4 pictures in
> the Beginning Gimp book (Apres - AkkanaPeck) and it looks great except
> I have a dark vertical shadow where two of the images meet. How do I
> get rid of it? I am working on Linux Debian testing with Gimp 2.6.10.
> Briefly, this is what I did:
> 1. Make an new image a little larger than 4 X the width of one picture
> 2. Add first picture as a layer.
> 3. Add the second as another layer
> 4. Overlap image two over image one until they line up.
> 5. Add layer mask to image 2
> 6. Add gradient to layer mask - black to white from edge of second
> image to 3/4 of the way to edge of image 1
> 7. Repeat as needed for each new image
> By looking at the image, I would say the vertical band of darkness is
> the area of the gradient/overlap of the two images. I am a complete
> novice at this....
> Thanks!
> Mark
> P.S. I have also tried Hugin, which I could not get to work, and the
> gimp panorama plugin, which produce the same problem as above.

Your shadow on the seam is caused by a general color mismatch between
the right part of the left image and the left part of the right one.
Creating panoramas requires to set the camera in manual mode to make
sure it won't change exposure parameters between the various shots. And
even once you have done that you still have shadow problems to sort out
because your photo has vignetting (slightly darker in the corners) and
the seam may be done between the border of a picture (dark) and a more
inner part of the next (slightly lighter). And this assumes of course
that you have got the geometry right, and corrected any tilt in the
pictures, etc...

To make it short, assembling panoramas in Gimp is a lot of hard work.
The only pictures that aren't too hard to assemble in Gimp are those
from a flatbed scanner.

Invest you time in making Hugin work. This will be a lot more rewarding
in the end.