bobdobbs <> writes:

> Hi all.
> I'm using gimp 2.6.10 on ubuntu 10.10. I have a layered psd that has been
> edited using a CMYK colour profile. I'd like to open it. When I try, gimp
> gives me the error:
> Error loading PSD file: Unsupported color mode: CMYK
> Googling around gets me some interesting solutions. One is to use
> imagemagicks 'convert' to create each layer as a png. When I tried this, I
> got a whole bunch of generically named layers. Most of the conversions had
> failed, resulting in transparent png's with no content.
> I found this thread, nearly three years old, on ubuntuforums:
> One of the solutions proposed in it is to use a seperation filter that that
> has been created as a plugin. I found the homepage for such a plugin. It had
> a warning that the plugin should not be used, with a broken link to a better
> one to use.
> I also found this:
> This provides some information on the issue, and a link to a plugin package
> to help remedy. However, the plugin is about four years old.
> Is this a solved problem yet? Is it possible to open CMYK psd's in gimp?

Not having tried this myself, seems to be the
official[1] download page of Separate+, also linked to from e.g. which says it provides:

    separate_import (bonus)
        CMYK TIFF import plug-in which generates the pseudo-composite image

So I would try

    $ convert input.psd output.tif

and then open those tiff files in gimp with separate_import (unless
separate_import can also open psd files?)

Hope this helps,
Kevin Brubeck Unhammer

[1] The official homepage seems to be
    down, however, the Arch Linux package also points to
    The homepage of the "old" Separate plugin (without the plus) also
    recommends using Separate+: