On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 23:38:20 +0400
Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoud...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 11:27 PM, john Culleton wrote:
> >
> > About once a year I ask about a  capability to output a file from
> > Gimp in pdf format and the CMYK color model. In addition it would be
> > nice if this output was in the PDF X/1-a:2001 format, to satisfy
> > certain fussy printers. I know there are external converters like
> > ImageMagick. It would however be nice if after all these years Gimp
> > catered to the needs of the printing industry.
>
> GIMP only got PDF exporting in upcoming v2.8. This exporter uses
> Cairo. Cairo doesn't support CMYk and spot colors. Therefore
> requesting CMYK PDF exporting will start making sense only after Cairo
> gets support for CMYK  and spot colors.
>
> Alexandre Prokoudine
> http://libregraphicsworld.org

I am reminded of my old sergeant in Korea who told me: "Young
soldier, don't tell me why you can't do it---tell me how you did it."

Scribus does CMYK. Scribus also uses Cairo. If Gimp ever hopes to
compete on an even keel with PhotoShop or even Scribus it should offer
CMYK output too. It is an absolute requirement for printed output.

While we are on the topic of outputs, for years the PostScript output
from Gimp has had default X and Y offset values of 5mm. The default
should be zero of course. I used to go in and patch the source code for
Gimp to zero out the offset defaults. Now I don't bother any more.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press