There was some discussion on the developers list about undo that you may
want to take a look at. However I dont know if it answers your question
as Im not a programmer and therefor dont understand what there on about.

http://www.mail-archive.com/gimp-developer%40scam.xcf.berkeley.edu/

As for things being broken past and present, well thats just part and
parcel of the developers version isnt it? ;)