You wrote on Mon, 08 Mai 2000:
>thanks for the workaround. it works well.
>i added these lines to my .bash_profile file :
>
>unset LC_ALL
>LC_NUMERIC=C
>export LC_NUMERIC
>
>but what is the LC_NUMERIC variable and what is C ?
>just to know if it breaks something else.

LC_NUMERIC is responsible for grouping of numbers, especially it is the
place to say wether "," or "." separates the parts of a decimalnumber.

  3 / 2 = 1,5   in germany
        = 1.5   in the UK (and ...)

the definition of LC_NUMERIC for de_DE (for me in
/usr/share/i18n/locales/de_DE) looks like:

LC_NUMERIC
decimal_point             "<,>"
thousands_sep             "<.>"
grouping                  3;3
END LC_NUMERIC

and for POSIX (that is sometimes named C and is defined as the default
locale)

LC_NUMERIC
# This is the POSIX Locale definition for
# the LC_NUMERIC category.
#
decimal_point   "<period>"
thousands_sep   ""
grouping        -1
#
END LC_NUMERIC

If no locale is set (and the application is ready for i18n) the default
locale C (or POSIX) is used.

Hope this helps
Uwe

--