you knocked on the right door. i faced this problem before. its a
        problem with your LC_NUMERIC global variable. the only way to work
        around this bug si to set this variable to C.
        example do this:

                LC_NUMERIC=C ; gimp &

        it should work. if it does not work, try to unset the LC_ALL
        variable.

                unset LC_ALL; LC_NUMERIC=C ; gimp &

        it should woork.

                                                                s@m