On Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 01:03:38PM +0200, Christian Wenz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> i scaned a coulor picture with gimp and saved it in a gif-format. after

bad idea, gif is somewhat "lossy".

> that i load it in xfig to add some arrows and such stuff and write it as
> an eps-file.

another bad idea: xfig usually scales images (in quite a suboptimal way).

> now i see that the edges of the picture are not so sharp as

It's hard to tell exactly what you mean by "sharp edges", but guessing
from what you did I would expect either a patterned edge or edges that
have different widths.

> as eps i get more sharp edges but a huge file. is there a way to improve
> the quality of gif with gimp or is it more a problem of the gif-format

most probably a problem of both gif and the tools you used.