Sounds like you need to delete the ~/.gimp-1.1 directory and then restart
gimp.
Also, remember that it is always good to kill all things gimp from the file
system before compiling and installing new versions.  This prevents library
compatibility problems which can prevent future compilations of Gimp from
running.

--
Rick Rosinski
http://rickrosinski.com