Your post had me confused for a while, although you wrote 'colour selection
dialog' I actually interpreted it as the 'palette dialog'...duh!. And
therein lies the answer to your problem.

The gimp allows you to store a 'charter' as you call it, in the 'palette
dialog'. You can drag and drop selected colours from the tool box or colour
selection dialog to a new palette where it will be saved.

As far as I am aware there is no way to associate a palette with an image,
but it will always be there until you decide to delete it.