i sent originally to redhat list but no reply as yet so i thought
possibly someone
here might have clue to assist me...

> Run /sbin/lsmod and see what is loaded.  I am beginning to wonder if you
> have the printer port modules loaded.

it only lists my eho0 mod and sound mod..
but thats normal as I have my  printer stuff compiled into kernel....

however,,i finally got the right file i needed ( since i upgraded to
printtool-2.0 and the autodetect wasn't working seems it needed a file I
didn't have--pconf_detect ) for autodetect and autodetect isn't finding
printer port thats odd..well this of course explains no printing.. :(
but
like i say its in the kernel...

thanks
lee