Thanks for the advice Claudio and Avery. I've read the
trunk/CODE_CONVENTIONS file and will submit my patch for review on
https://reviews.apache.org.

One more question:

Even though I have signed up for a JIRA account I am unable to assign
GIRAPH-63 to myself. Do I need to be added to the GIRAPH project by
someone before I can do that? Or do I just start work without
assigning this to myself?

Thanks,

Shaunak