Thanks Avery,

  Greetings all.  In the other Apache communities of which I'm familiar
(Mahout and Lucene, in particular), it is customary for new committers to
give a little background / bio / self-introduction, so I'll carry that over,
in hopes that it is a fairly universal practice. :)

  I'm originally a physics nerd, turned mathematician, turned software
engineer mostly working on search (I built large parts of
engine, as well as
this <!/who_to_follow/search/jake%20mannix> one), and as
such have spent a lot of time in the Apache
Lucene<>community (both of the linked-to
search engines are built on Lucene,
naturally enough).  Over the past few years, I've been working more trying
to apply my IR and math skills to machine learning, and as such have been
working on Apache Mahout <>, where I'm a committer
and PMC member, primarily working on distributed matrix computations and in
more specific: decompositions (e.g.
and topic modeling (e.g

  As you might imagine, social graphs play a pretty important role in much
of the work I've been in, so finding efficient ways to do monstrously large
graph computations is what brought Apache Giraph to my attention.  I hope to
spend some of my time (both free and as part of my workday) helping make
Giraph speedy and CPU+memory+network efficient, by whatever means I can
think of, and to write up some fun graph applications to go in the
"examples" area as well.

  In fact, finding ways of doing stuff which is a bit *outside* the normal
thought of a BSP graph calculation is one of my motivations for using /
working with / helping Giraph: I'd love to see how hard it is (and how
efficient the result is!) to compute truncated matrix SVD's in Giraph, or do
a big topic-model learning of an LDA model, or any of the various other
sophisticated machine learning algorithms of which I sadly know very little
(like really anything to do with gradient boosted decision trees, or
restricted boltzmann machines, etc).

  Well that was a bit long, but I can be a bit chatty, but there you go.
 Looking forward to working with the rest of the community here, and
building some great stuff!  The codebase is pretty huge and impressive
already, I'm honored to help out in whatever way I can.