Thanks for the detail on your experiments. I certainly agree that it would be very useful to make some sort of scalability/performance testing framework to evaluate improvements. Definitely would appreciate your help in putting one together. We have a few benchmarks (PageRankBenchmark and RandomMessageBenchmark), but would appreciate any help you would like to provide.

Otherwise, if that doesn't interest you, please have a look at the open JIRAs

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+GIRAPH+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+assignee+is+EMPTY+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC&mode=hide

and see what's interesting for you. If nothing there interests you, feel freel to discuss here or on giraph-dev or open up a JIRA. =)

Avery