I take Sally's point about the dates of the two writers and also that Trease tackled a broader range of subjects in his books. I can never agree that Trease was a patch on Ransome as a writer.

Sally wrote
Oh, not that long!  Swallows and Amazons was only 1930, 4 years before
Trease's first book was published, and none of Ransome's handful of previous
children's books were in the least bit unusual or different.  In Tales Out
of School, Trease himself said about Ransome "The outstanding literary
landmark of this period is Arthur Ransome.  His name will go on into the
short list of writers like Talbot Baines Reed, who have deflected the stream
of fiction into new channels.  What Reed did for the school term, Mr Ransome
did for the holidays."  But, personally, I do think Ransome is much more a
"safe" kind of writer, in that he only wrote one kind of book, whereas
Trease was much more ambitious in trying his hand at a variety of types and
settings, and also trying to introduce a world-view that was almost
unrepresented in fiction for children at the time - Ransome didn't challenge
any prevailing world-view, he just ignored it.

-- Barbara Dryden