This may not be a shock to most, but it was a real surprise to me. I have
two machines. One at work. One at home. I am using git to keep a project in
sync between the two. I have a working directory on both machines. On my
home machine, I have a separate "repository" which is on my home machine.
So I do the changes in the "working directory" (either at work or at home)
and "git push" and "git pull" to/from the repository to maintain
synchronization. It works well. I decided that I wanted to do some renames
on my work machine. I had 55 text files which I decided I should have a
".txt" suffix on. So I did a "git mv" on each, adding the ".txt" to the end
of the file name. I did a "git commit" after each "git mv" detailing the
renaming, similar to:"rename x to x.txt". I then did a "git push" to my
repository (which did an SSH push to my home machine). Worked fairly fast,
although the "git commit" was a bit slow. Anyway, I then did an "ssh" onto
my home machine. Did a "cd" to the working directory and did a "git pull".
Oh my word. It seemed to take forever. I did a second ssh to get another
terminal session going. I guess that I should have known, but what actually
happened was that the "git pull" deleted all the old versions of the files
from my working directory, then expanded the compressed versions back with
the new name. I guess I was expecting a simple rename. Not a delete /
OK, people "in the know" may have expected this. But it was a complete
shock to me. And I thought it might be of interest to other newbies.