Dear GKD Members,

I accepted to do an e-Readiness evaluation of Nicaragua based on the
Harvard Evaluation-guide (which by the way is the almost the same as the
Worldbank and the GDG-Foundation use).

The more I get into it, the more I feel that this approach does not fit
to the specific situation of developing (hopefully) countries.

Reason: the guide concentrates only of available infrastructure & it's
usage producing the indirect impression the higher the scores, the more
effectively (and appropriate) you are using ICT.

As it concentrates only on supply and usage of ICT leaving out basic
economic and social data, the final results are simply incorrect.

Reason: ICT costs at least the same -if not more- in developing
countries compared to the OECD-states. However the cost-structure of
everything else -except maybe electric energy- is completely different:
food normally is cheaper, housing -lower quality accepted- is cheaper,
salaries are lower etc.

Therefore the costs of opportunity (both in terms of pure money and in
terms of effectiveness) of ICT compared with almost everything else are
completely different.

Rational local decision-making has to be based on these local
cost-of-opportunity structure and not on what might be it's counterpart
in OECD countries.

However the above mentioned guide leaves just 0 space for this type of
consideration.

(Striking examples: if the Internet-connection-costs of a Computer-lab
for a secondary school are equivalent to the whole budget for all
teachers of that school, then it's simply nonsense to fire the teachers
to set up the lab: the gain in efficiency and effectiveness would be
extremely negative. Or: a complete toolset to produce high-quality
handicraft furniture costs more or less the same as a fully equipped
computer. Buying that toolset will have by far more impact on the
economics of the workshop than buying a computer). Anyone else with
similar experiences ?

Yours,

Cornelio