Pamela McLean wrote:

> I am exploring email options on behalf of a grass roots rural
> development project: OOCD 2000+ (Oke-Ogun Community Development Agenda
> 2000 Plus). Through historic reasons of friendship I use my home
> broadband Internet connection in the UK on behalf of the project. Any
> advice on technical issues, or organisational practicalities of setting
> up and running a bureau would be appreciated.

Dear Pamela,

My honest advice is:

a) you are clearly a great champion and your energy is desperately
needed

b) you are spending your energy in an inappropriate way... if your
personal energy gets spent on a more impactful project it may assist in
getting telecoms and energy to this area sooner.....

The argument is simple, one should not be trying to deliver ICTs or
Internet to areas that do not have sufficient food and water. The basics
are primary requirements for development.

That said, the developing world MUST use ICTs in order to ensure they
are not left behind. It's how they use ICTs that is important!

Sounds like GSM will appear in Ago-Are, Oke-Ogun, Oyo State soon and
GPRS will allow them to make mobile communications happen. Maybe that's a
track (more sustainable in nature) you would be better to explore.

Regards,

Alan