Dear Frederick, Timothy, Don, Cornelio, et al,

I have been meaning for some time to put in some comments on these
issues from a while ago, but am only now finding the time to do so. My
message has two parts:

1) A description of my observations on the WCE distribution of computers
in Nepal to the NGO, Committee for the Promotion of Public Awareness and
Development Studies (COPPADES) <http://www.interconnection.org/coppades>

2) General comments on a few points made by others on this topic

During the first several months of 2002, I had the privilege of visiting
the COPPADES office in Kathmandu a number of times to meet with the
director, Dikendra Kandel, and his staff to find out about their
collaboration with WCE.  I also visited a several schools in and around
the town of Damauli which had received computers.  This was part of my
doctoral field research on social aspects of the introduction and spread
of the internet in Nepal. A few months ago, COPPADES received
recognition for their work when they were chosen as a finalist in
Italy's Global Junior Challenge
<http://www.gjc.it/2002/en/mostra.asp?ID=352>.

I first met Dikendra and learned about COPPADES' project in March 2001
on an earlier field research trip.  He was already deep into the process
of getting the computers at that time.  As Timothy pointed out, it is
neither quick nor easy to organize this.  When I returned in February
2002, they had only recently received the computers, and had been
working very hard to match computers, monitors, keyboards, mouses, and
printers into approximately 75 functioning sets, that were to be sent to
schools spread across 5 different districts in Nepal.  The components
had numerous problems, but COPPADES had the technical staff necessary to
fix whatever needed to be fixed and coordinate the components.  They
were just finishing this process, and had already started sending the
computers out to the schools when I arrived.

Distribution of the computers was no easy task either.  Some schools
were in towns on paved roads, but others had to be flown in to the
nearest airport far from any road, and then ported on footpaths over
long distances.  The ongoing Maoist insurrection which affects many
parts of the country made the task that much more difficult still.

In my first trip outside of the Kathmandu valley, I spent four days in
the town of Damauli, where I was able to visit several schools and a
small college campus that had received WCE computers.  The Education
Society had taken charge of the coordination for their district.
Several research informants in Kathmandu had commented that school
staffs often wanted computers simply for the prestige, but that they
were seen as too valuable to ever let the students touch them.  So they
were either used only by the school administration or kept safely boxed
up in a locked room so that nothing could happen to them.  In and around
Damauli, though, all the schools had their computers out in freshly
painted rooms on custom built workstations constructed by local
carpenters.  Teachers were anxious to get started teaching computer
classes, and were interested in whatever ideas I might have to help them
out.  At the local junior college, classes had already started.  In
addition to the classes for students, there were two early morning
sessions for the teachers to learn more about how to use computers.
Everybody was enthusiastic and making the most of the chance they now
had.  By the end of my visit , I was so impressed with the enthusiasm of
the teachers and staff at the various schools in the area that we agreed
that I should return for slightly longer visit to run a set of workshops
on tips for effective and efficient use of the internet and e-mail,
given the constraints of high connection costs and slow connection
speeds.  There was no ISP point of presence in the district, so all
connections involved long distance phone charges.

There were challenges at all stages of the process.  Nobody in Nepal had
an easy time of it in acquiring the computers.  Dikendra and his staff
at COPPADES put in countless hours in the tasks involved:

*  identifying schools
*  putting together the proposal
*  finding funding for shipping costs
*  dealing with the customs office
*  arranging for teacher training
*  ensuring that all schools were committed and had adequate facilities
for the computers or were willing to have them built
*  COPPADES focuses on development activities for the district of
Lamjung, so they needed to find partner NGOs in the other 4 districts
with which to collaborate.

The schools had to set up or build facilities to house the computers,
identify teachers at the school to teach computer classes and release
them for training, and find funds for maintenance of the computers and
e-mail/internet accounts.  In Damauli, the junior college instructor was
the only individual in town who was proficient with computer
maintenance, so whenever any computer in the region did something
confusing, he was sent for.  Besides him, the nearest resources were
over an hour away. Comparatively, Damauli was fairly well off.

I have been slowly thinking over the issues raised by everybody with
respect to my experience in Nepal.  I think that Frederick's various
concerns are perfectly valid, and I find that I often have similar ones.
One point in particular that I would like to address that he raises:

> What is the impact on recipients in the Third World? Is there no
> better and more sustainable way of getting access to PCs? Are such
> gift-horses appreciated well, or simply abused and misused by
> recipients, who feel they've got the PCs in an easy way anyway?

In the Nepal case, the recipients certainly appreciated getting the
computers, and were starting to make good use of them.  Of course, there
were the other stories I heard about school computers being nothing more
than status symbols.  If computers are just dumped at an organization's
doorstep, there is nothing to prevent this from happening.  If, as WCE
does, the recipients are required to come up with a viable, well thought
out plan to be eligible, and to start the initial steps, such as room
preparation and teacher training then there is much more chance for
success.  For a "charity" to be successful, it has to work with target
audiences as equals, not simply provide them with handouts.

As long as the planned obscelence model of computer design continues,
there will continue to be a source of computers available through
donation. The more sustainable approach would seem to be to have enough
people refuse to stay on the Moore's Law/bloatware bandwagon so that a
market is created for cheap, sufficient computers with basic operating
systems and applications which people will keep for longer periods.  If
this happens, there will be fewer computer donations, but organizations
in less industrialized countries will find computers more affordable.
There have been a few recent movements in this direction, such as the
simputer in India, the volkscomputer in Brazil, and Walmart's
Linux-based machine in the US.  Hopefully more will happen in this area.

Cornelio raises valid concerns about computer dumping.  According to the
Basel Action Network's report, "Exporting Harm: The High-Tech Trashing
of Asia" <http://www.ban.org/>, some over-industrialized countries, the
US in particular, sidestep the Basel Accord's limits on exporting toxic
waste to less industrialized countries by selling unwanted computers as
material for recycling.  In reality what that often involves is parts
being melted down over open fires or in acid baths out in the open with
the fumes causing serious health problems and the toxic runoff
contaminating the environment. For a quick graphic display, see
<http://www.ban.org/Library/Guiyu_A.jpg> for a picture of CRT monitors
imported to China for recycling, but laying as waste along the
Liangjiang River. India and Pakistan have similar toxic electronic
import problems.

However, I question the relevance of the serious issue of computer
dumping to the issue of providing functioning used computers to
organizations in these countries.  Granted the computers will not last
as long as new computers, but even new computers will eventually wear
out and need to be disposed of.  Saying that these countries should not
get computers until they can be disposed of properly is not an option.
I think the real need is to develop computers that use less toxic
chemicals; a point I have seen raised once or twice, but not often.

Layton Montgomery
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

PhD Candidate
Centre for Research Policy