Oleg Petrov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote,

> We have prepared for you a special coverage on community telecenters,
> in particular, on the issues of sustainability and effectiveness.

I found the focus on telecenters sustainability quite useful and timely.
The "telecenter movement" (at least in Africa) has now entered its
second phase - from popularisation to analysis of the impact of
different models. A wider discussion on the subject would therefore be
useful.

> Can community telecentres be sustainable?

It depends on what we mean by "sustainability" and how much we (the
experts promoting telecentres) really understand communities and how far
the intended recipients understand the role of ICT to their development.
Aligning technologies with community needs and with their cultural,
political, social and technical reality/context is a time consuming
effort (we are still in the process of learning from efforts and
mistakes of ICT and development). But history has shown again and again
that the level of demand for specific ICT services determines their
sustainability. For example, private sector driven cyber cafes targeting
small businesses and urban users in need of information and
communications have been successful all over Africa (the level of
success varies from place to place, but there is strong viability of the
commercial telecentre/teleshop/cyber-cafe models).

What about rural or the disenfranchised people? Observation in Africa
shows that most telecentre experiments for rural/semi urban people have
not been that successful. Why?  Because a) most telecentre experiments
were highly technology driven with good intention to bridge the digital
divide -  "let us build a telecentre with ten computers here and help
the people to use it" approach in the middle of heavily organic
information processing culture and for people whose priorities are
mainly - food, shelter, education, health, better administrators, etc.
(luckily information and communication are now moving up in the priority
lists) b) ignoring the aspirations, resilience, social capital and
creativity of intended recipients. Some initiatives failed to
acknowledge the capacity of local people and that securing participation
of these people is a long-term process. c) The low status accorded to
content and community conversation - simple but useful tools such as
books, reading rooms, space for interaction and telephones that would
have stimulated use of advanced technologies were uncared for. Of course
there are other reasons for the ups and downs of individual telecentres
such as quality of local telecentre management, level of infrastructure
and other local specifics.  Nevertheless, the experiments were useful
and timely and have provided insights on what works and what doesn't.

> Is there a universally applicable model of sustainability?

There is no universally sustainable model for communities in rural areas
yet (perhaps there will be a couple for urban areas) - a mix and match
approach that a) recognizes technology's enabling role b) builds a
vibrant civil society movement around telecenters sustainability (e.g.
cross-subsidization, multiple income generation techniques, etc.) c)
upholds the centrality of information/content that meet the actual needs
of communities as critical to sustainability and d) builds on full
involvement and systematic participation of the communities would be
useful.

> What are the key success stories and lessons learned in terms of
> impact and sustainability?

The key lesson is that the deployment of telecentres (at least in
Africa) is not as easy as was originally thought, so there is a need for
more fundamental/action research and experimenting to evolve with tens
of models for thousands of different communities in our region.

Lishan Adam, Independent Consultant

[EMAIL PROTECTED]