The thing is that a lot of useless computers ARE dumped in developing
countries. There are waste disposal companies in the UK and elsewhere
who pay state governments in India and China (for example) to dump
unprocessed electronic waste in their backyard.

And there have also been some well intentioned (but poorly planned and
executed) projects to send old PCs to places without the resources or
skills to make immediate, productive and sustainable use of them. (This
ends up being as negative an outcome as out-and-out dumping).

What we need to do is make an appropriate distinction between dumping
and providing quality, fully refurbished, Pentium PCs into contexts
where the appropriate capacity is already in place to make productive
use of them. This means that secure and adapted premises, experienced
staff and access to free or affordable technical support is in place.

If so PII machines make excellent all round work horses. I am using one
to write this. And PI PCs make excellent desktops on a thin client
network in a school classroom.

If supplied through SchoolNets where the recipient NGO is engaged in
providing the above capacity and working on connectivity and policy
issue the outcomes are truly impressive. See www.schoolnetafrica.net

SchoolNet Africa is a pan-Africa, African-led organisation with
structures in 30 African countries leading the way in applying ICTs to
enhance education.

SchoolNet Africa has just launched an appeal for one million refurbished
computers for African schools.

And if the PCs are supplied through national NGO Federations who are
already engaged in pro-active capacity building work to stengthen their
member organisations including providing computer training and technical
support - again the outcomes are extremely valuable.

We need to differentiate between good practice and bad practice in this
area just as in other fields.

Extending the productive life of PCs has very positive developmental,
educational and environmental outcomes. Dumping PCs does not.

Kind regards

Tony Roberts
Executive Director
Computer Aid International

433 Holloway Road
London, N7 6LJ. UK.
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7281 0091
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Website: www.computeraid.org

Registered Charity no. 1069256
Registered Company no. 3442679

This message was sent to you using a quality Pentium PC fully
refurbished by Computer Aid International.