Udit Chaudhuri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Perhaps the only way this would work is to:
>
> 1  Collect computers used and donated in the command area itself, say
> executives and offices of international companies and other
> organisations who have imported the computers 3-4 years ago and are
> upgrading  their systems - incentivising (in token) or acknowledging
> their donation;

This all depends on the level of development and/or economic crisis in a
country.

At APC, we have been covering the efforts of one of our members based in
Argentina to equip local telecentres. They had originally planned to do
it this way - contacting businesses locally - but because of the
economic crisis it has been impossible. I'm assuming that this would be
the situation for most of the less developed countries in the world.

Now, fortunately, they have been put in contact with Computer Aid. We'll
continue to cover this story on the APC site. You can read more below.

Getting hold of computers for community telecentres in crisis-stricken
Argentina is a serious challenge

ROSARIO, Argentina, 06/07/2002 -- In the middle of one of the most
serious crises ever faced by Argentina it's not easy for APC member, TAU
to continue their dream of setting up self sustaining community computer
centres in poor neighbourhoods. Based in one of the worst hit cities,
former industrial heartland, Rosario, TAU is struggling to operate in a
country where spine-chilling statistics point to 15 million people
living below the poverty line out of a total population of 37 million,
60% of all children living in poverty and 25% of children are from
families where even basic food needs are not met. Nevertheless, TAU is
moving ahead with the implementation of three Community Computer Centres
(or telecentres) in two marginal neighbourhoods within the city of
Rosario and Capitan Bermudez, a town fifteen kilometers outside. -
APCNews
http://www.apc.org/english/news/index.shtml?x=5050

Building Computer and Internet Skills in Argentina Remains a Challenge
but Demand Grows

ROSARIO, Argentina, 05/30/2003 -- APC member TAU, based in Argentina's
second city Rosario, has started meeting with organisations which are
interested in setting up community telecentres in their neighbourhood.
"It looks like we'll be developing six new telecentres which will make
nine in total set up in Rosario and hinterland since last year," said
Luis Martinez, one of TAU's coordinators.

Getting hold of donated computers and other hardware is still a major
headache in a country that has suffered such an economic crisis that
most businesses are just not replacing their old machines as they did
previously. "It's also proving really difficult getting even a basic
dial-up Internet connection in certain areas of the city," said Luis. -
APCNews
http://www.apc.org/english/news/index.shtml?x=12181

Best wishes
Karen Higgs