---------- Forwarded message ----------

World's poor to get own search engine

By Alfred Hermida
BBC News Online technology editor

RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
TEK project  http://cag.lcs.mit.edu/tek/
Comments/Questions?
Email [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The goal of the TEK project is to build a low-connectivity search engine
for use by people at the far side of a bad telephone connection.

People in poor countries could soon have a new and cheap way to get hold
of the wealth of information on the internet.

Researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) are
developing a search engine designed for people with a slow net
connection.

Someone using the software would e-mail a query to a central server in
Boston. The program would search the net, choose the most suitable
webpages, compress them and e-mail the results a day later.

"More and more we are creating an information divide in the world and
this can help narrow that divide and have a huge benefit in that sense,"
said Professor Saman Amarasinghe of MIT's Laboratory for Computer
Science in Boston.

The thinking behind the TEK search engine is that people in poor
countries are short of money but have time on their hands, whereas
people in the West are cash-rich but time-poor.

"The idea is that developing countries are willing to pay in time for
knowledge," explained Prof Amarasinghe.

"In the West when we surf we want the information in the next two
seconds. We are not willing to wait."

Filtered results

The researchers say current web technology such as search engines is
focused on the needs of the West.

When the students arrive, they can browse through those pages the way
they would if they had full internet connectivity

By contrast, people in poor countries face problems such as the speed
and cost of an internet connection, let alone the huge amount of
webpages thrown up by search engines.

"Let us assume you are in Malawi," explained Prof Amarasinghe, "and the
computer lab does not have access to the telephone line all the time."

"If you want to find some new information about malaria, you are
prompted with a message that says 'we are going to send a query through
e-mail, it is OK?'.

"At night, when the phone line is available, the teacher can dial out
and send the queries."

The request is sent to computers at MIT in Boston, which then search the
internet and gather webpages.

To avoid a glut of information, the software then filters the results
and chooses the most relevant. These are then sent back to the computer
in Malawi so that they can be stored in the machine's internet cache.

"Next morning the teacher can connect, download that e-mail and when the
students arrive, they can browse through those pages the way they would
if they had full internet connectivity," said Prof Amarasinghe.

The program keeps a record of all the information sent to avoid wasting
bandwidth by re-sending the same webpages.

CDs in libraries

So far the program is in its early stages, with a small number of people
trying it out.

But the researchers aim to have a beta version ready to be tested in the
next three to four months.

Once they have sorted out any bugs, they intend to make it freely
available to anyone.

However, the team realise the program is too big to download over a slow
and poor net connection.

Instead they are thinking of sending CDs to libraries so that people can
borrow and install the software on their machines.

They are also considering trying to persuade computer sellers in
developing countries to install the program on machines.

Story from BBC NEWS:
   http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/technology/3065063.stm

   Published: 2003/07/15 07:42:08 GMT

   © BBC MMIII

Download TEK!
See
http://cag.lcs.mit.edu/tek/TEKdownload.html

Version 1.1.4 of the TEK Client was released on May 13, 2003.  This is
still an Alpha version that has some known bugs and is intended
primarily for experienced users to help test and evaluate the software,
rather than for large scale distribution to rural communities.  We look
forward to undertaking a more widespread distribution as bugs are fixed
and the product becomes more robust.

There are versions of TEK available for both Linux and Windows. If the
files below are too big for you to download, please send email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] and we will gladly mail you a CD with the installers.

Linux installation.  Download this file (1.3 MB) and install it
according to the directions in the release notes for Linux.

Windows installation.  There are two options:
ÝÝ 1. Includes a Java VM: Ý Download (10.8 MB)
ÝÝ 2. Without a Java VM: Ý Download (2.0 MB)

You should only use option #2 if you have a Java VM (version 1.3 or
higher) already installed on your system.  After downloading the
installer, double-click on "install.exe" to start the installation
process.  Additional installation instructions, system requirements, and
usage tips can be found in the release notes for Windows, which are
available online as well as in the downloads above.

Reporting Bugs

This release contains several known bugs, and a large wish-list of items
that we hope to implement in the future.  The most recent bug list is
available from our Bugzilla bug database.

If you encounter a bug, please send it to us at [EMAIL PROTECTED] so that
we can incorporate it into our list and give you credit for discovering
it. If possible, please include with each bug report the version of your
operating system, web browser, and email program, along with the
sequence of steps necessary to reproduce the bug.  Alternatively, if you
are familiar with Bugzilla, you can contribute directly to the database.

Helping to Develop TEK

For those of you who are interested in helping to fix bugs, implement
additional functionality, or contribute in other ways to the TEK
project, we are very interested in hearing from you - please email us at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  We are sharing our source code (under the Lesser GNU
Public License) so that everyone can help in developing and deploying
the software.