Below is a press release about the Boston Office of General Services
Administration donating computers to a Hull group working with schools
in Kenya with volunteers helping from Melrose, Hull, Boston, and
Lexington schools, Peace Corps, and City Year.

World Computer Exchange, Inc.
Bridging the global digital divide for youth

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.WorldComputerExchange.org
936 Nantasket Ave., Hull, Massachusetts 02045  USA
+ 781-925-3078       FAX: + 509-752-9186

Offices:  Boston, Burlington, Geneva, Miami, Minneapolis, New Haven, San
Francisco, Seattle, Stockholm, Stuttgart & Washington DC

Representatives gathering computers in: Atlanta, Bonn, Brussels,
Calgary, Chicago, Copenhagen, Dallas, Detroit, Gothenburg, Helsinki, Los
Angeles, New York, Oak Island NC, Oslo, Paris, Portland, Sydney,
Syracuse, Tokyo & Tulsa

24 Shipments of 7,279 computers valued at US$2,142,450 to connect 829
schools with 319,300 students in 17 countries: Bangladesh, Benin,
Bolivia, Cameroon, Ecuador, Georgia, Guatemala, India, Kenya, Lithuania,
Malawi, Nepal, Nigeria, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, and Vietnam.

US IRS 501 (c) 3 tax-exempt (non-profit) organization # 04-3529016 and
incorporated as an NGO in Sweden and Germany

World Computer Exchange
Building IT capacity in schools in developing countries

PRESS RELEASE:   GSA Helps With Computers For Kenya

Contact: Paula Santangelo, Director, Customer Services Division, GSA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
617-565-5777

David McBride, Peace Corps Relations Manager
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
617-445-7684

The US General Services Administration's (GSA) Boston office is donating
220 Pentium computers to help connect schools in Kenya to the Internet.
This surplus equipment is being combined with other donated computers to
fill a shipping container that will leave the Port of Boston around
August 15.

The GSA's staff has been working with college students recruited by the
World Computer Exchange, a nonprofit based in Hull, Mass., to test,
scrub, and inventory the equipment.

On August 12th, volunteers from Boston Area Returned Peace Corps
Volunteers and from City Year will join the GSA staff and students.
Together, they will move the computers into a 40-foot container already
loaded with 215 computer sets gathered from local individuals and
companies and packed by volunteer students from South Shore Charter
School in Hull and the Melrose and Lexington High Schools, Asha for
Education and Yale Recycling in New Haven. Other assistance for this
project has come from Land Air Express and the Vermont recycling program
both in Burlington.

GSA's Regional Administrator for New England, Dennis R. Smith said,
"We're thrilled to make this donation of computers that will enable
children in Kenya to connect to the Internet.  This is a great
opportunity for GSA to help others and provide a communications tool for
kids. Our GSA associates take pride in being able to make a
difference."

Doane Perry, the President of Boston Area Returned Peace Corps
Volunteers, said, "We have been pleased to see that the Exchange is
working with Peace Corps Volunteers in many developing countries. It is
great that our 600 returned Peace Corps Volunteers have this type of
service option available to them.  We are beginning to advise the
Exchange in how to better work with Peace Corps and to get us involved
in more developing countries and in more US cities where our volunteers
return after their two years of service."

The 435 Pentiums and Power Macs will connect 20 schools with 10,000
students to the Internet. The schools were recruited, trained, and
prepared by SchoolWeb (Kenya) Ltd. SchoolWeb was developed by Kiragu
Maina while he was with Africa Online. The Exchange and SchoolWeb were
brought together when the World Economic Forum's Global Digital Divide
Initiative showcased the work of the Exchange after a global education
competition in 2001.

This container also holds a special gift of high-end network switches
and hubs being donated to Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and
Technology by PAREXEL International, a health research firm based in
Waltham. This equipment will allow the university to help local schools
with the use of computers and the Internet to improve learning. PAREXEL
has donated through the Exchange several times.

World Computer Exchange has shipped 7,279 computers donated by
individuals and companies in the USA, Scandinavia, and Germany.  The
Exchange <www.WorldComputerExchange.org>, founded in 1999, works to
build IT capacity in schools in developing countries by providing
computers, online help-desk volunteers, and sister-schools. This is the
Exchange's 12th container to Africa and the 12th container shipped from
its Boston Office. The Exchange is now gathering donated computers in 31
cities in 12 countries. It has provided computers to 829 schools with
319,000 students in 17 developing countries in Africa, Asia and Latin
America.

Timothy Anderson, president of the Exchange, said GSA was wise to find a
suitable use for equipment that the agency's regular beneficiaries were
not prepared to accept. "We have worked extensively with U.S. and U.N.
agencies to help bridge the digital divide for youth. We look forward to
further projects with Returned Peace Corps Volunteers and with GSA."

Incorporated in Germany, Sweden, and the USA
HQ: 936 Nantasket Avenue,
Hull, Massachusetts  02045, USA
Tel: 781-925-3078
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Website: www.WorldComputerExchange.org
Reps in 31 cities in Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland,
France, Germany, Japan, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, USA