Dear Dr. Sheba,

We have been using GRASS - GIS software in our research.

GRASS GIS (Geographic Resources Analysis Support System) is an open
source, Free Software Geographical Information System (GIS) with raster,
topological vector, image processing, and graphics production
functionality that operates on various platforms through a graphical
user interface and shell in X-Windows. It is released under GNU General
Public License (GPL).

You may download the same from one of the mirror sites

   http://ces.iisc.ernet.in/grass

Linux platform GRASS has the funcationalities that is available with
commercial packages. Apart from this, GUI's are being devloped by many
(customised based on applications)

Sincerely,

Dr.T.V. Ramachandra

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Mwala k Sheba wrote:

> Dear Darius,
>
> Compliments of the season in the first place. You posed a number of
> questions in your postings but I wanted to respond to only one of them.
> Just like you, I have been just an ardent reader of various postings.
> One of your questions was: "Is GIS an appropriate technology for
> developing countries?"
>
> My immediate reaction to this would be yes, although I learnt that the
> GIS software itself is quite expensive and this excludes a number of
> interested users. I had an opportunity both to organise and attend a
> workshop on GIS. Both meetings, one organised by the Computer Society of
> Zambia Northern Chapter, and one organized through the auspices of the
> e-Brain Forum of Zambia, Copperbelt Chapter, for the Kitwe City Council,
> on developing an information policy, took place in November, 2003. My
> overall impression after these two presentations was that GIS is an
> essential tool for a number of reasons. Some examples of the use of GIS
> in Dar es Salaam, Lilongwe City Council in Malawi and Lusaka City
> Council were outlined. It is a tool that could effectively help local
> councils and other interested communities. Due to enormous costs, the
> Computer Society of Zambia North proposed coming up with a strategy
> paper that will foster partnership of all interested institutions
> through common ownership of GIS infrastructure as another alternative.
>
> I hope this contribution will be of benefit to you.

 Dr. T.V. Ramachandra
* Tel: 91-080-3600985/3942506/3943099 Energy & Wetlands Research Group [CES]
* Fax: 91-080-3601428  (CES/TVR) Centre for Ecological Sciences *
91-080-3600085/3600683 (Attn: CES/TVR) CES ERG RNO 215 (TVR/DKS/NVJ)
* EMail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Indian Institute of Science
* [EMAIL PROTECTED] Bangalore 560 012, India
* [EMAIL PROTECTED]
URL ----> http://ces.iisc.ernet.in/energy/Welcome.html