On Monday, June 21, 2004, "Global Knowledge Dev. Moderator" asked:

> KEY QUESTIONS:
>
> 1) What are the most innovative, cutting edge ICT-related practices
> currently used for professional development in developing countries?
>

> 2) Can technology innovations revolutionize professional training for
> developing countries? What is needed to make it happen?

I will leave question one to those currently working in a developing
country. Regarding the second question, technology can revolutionize
professional training by cutting costs - the cost that is reduced is
travel expenses to either bring experts in repeatedly or to transport
interested parties to a location where there is expertise. I am not
advocating no travel. Even a virtual program is more effective when
everyone is able to meet, as virtual communication has a long way to go
before it will replace a face-to-face discussion. The Internet though
allows us to bring images, dialogue, technical information, and
continuous follow-up to the needed area, and we can still sleep in our
own bed at night. If the cost of housing and transporting experts is
minimized, then those same funds can be redirected to creating desired
communications network. I would guess that in the beginning the cost
would not be reduced. The beauty of this metamorphosis though is that
the network, once built, can be used for many projects, thus the long
term costs are reduced. The tough nut to crack is that first year. Cost
can be reduced though by utilizing recycled equipment, and software with
minimal license fees (Open Source), and sharing training and materials
with similar organizations. Other costs can be reduced if groups like
the UN help to develop the infrastructure. I know I am harping on
infrastructure development, but these costs are too great for small
organizations, so governments and other organizations with strong
financing capacity will need to tackle this part.

The other part of the puzzle I believe comes from providing a way for
small groups to meets others with common goals (such as training in
Portuguese). An organized method for networking to find the right
contacts. This is not so much a new technology as a way to use what we
have. This is where I see great value in a discussion group like this,
and others, as a sort of nexus where roads cross and people meet.

> 3) What new technologies will significantly improve and expand
> professional development? What will it cost to develop these
> technologies -- and is it worth the cost?

The technology that we are hoping to refine and share with the UN's
Global E-Schools and Communities Initiative is the Sakai Tools. These
web tools and the course management software are written in open source,
so the interface can be adapted into a variety of situations. It is free
- a key element. And it is well supported by many of the major US
Universities, so it is here to stay - sustainable. Having universal,
standardized tools is one part of creating a platform for idea exchange.
If we can get others to use these tools, then maybe we can pool our
resources to develop modules that we all can use, thereby reducing our
cost.

> 5) Where are the pitfalls in using these new ICTs in developing
> countries?

Pitfalls - professionals in other location give advice without ever
seeing the situation first hand, and thus giving advice that is not
appropriate for the local situation. Blending approaches in general will
probably work better. Maybe more face-to-face initially, with IT tools
used for follow-up and rapid feedback.

> 6) How do we want to be using ICTs 3 years from now? Where is the line
> between hype and reality?

To unite groups with common objectives. Probably the most advanced use
will be one way video streaming, used in conjunction with e-mail for
response due to limited band width. Most developing countries will not
have high speed access to homes, but should have ample capacity at
education sites. If some of the technologies like Wi-Max move faster
than expected though, urban areas could have more connectivity capacity.
Wi-Max is suppose to have a 55 km radius.

> 7) How can GKD members be effective advocates for reaching these goals?

Act as a crossroads for exchanging ideas and discussion. GKD's diversity
is one of its great strengths. It is fascinating to see both theoretical
discussions as well as real life situations.

For now discussing scripted questions is ok, and probably the best
approach for the objective of writing papers. However, I would like to
see the group tackle a real project or projects. Not just a hypothetical
case study either, but one where the debate and decisions count. I
believe that you develop and refine best practices by doing. So why
couldn't the GKD group choose a group to help. Incorporate those with a
vested interest in the project to be a part of the discussions. Go
though all of the steps, including implementation, and adjustments. That
is where I would learn best, this how you could also train the local
participants. Each project could be archived as a case study for others
to look at as well and see what worked well and did not work so well. I
am sure we could come up with some ideas. I know one in San Jose del
Negrito, Honduras.